It is the responsibility of parents to teach their children about oral hygiene and the proper way to maintain it from a young age. If started early this training would go a long way in preventing oral problems in a person for an entire lifetime. Not only will it give them the confidence of having good oral health but will also enable them to identify probable problems if any, and treat it at the right time to avoid further damages. Though children are forever scared of dentists, it is to be ingrained in them that regular visits to the dentist is a must and forms a part of the normal and overall health check up of an individual.
During one’s childhood things like brushing, flossing, rinsing, examinations and fluoride treatments are major apparatus of dental care and it is the responsibility of the guardian to see to these things. The proper dental care for children is absolutely in the hands of the parents or the guardian and the earlier this training are started, the better it is for the child or children. Hence dental care begins from the time a child is born. You might be surprised at this because a newborn baby does not have teeth. So you might wonder what part of dental care can be applied to an infant. But it actually starts with wiping the gums with a wet soft cloth after each meal. This will clear off any residues of sugar or other baby food product and help maintain a clean mouth. Parents should exchange the soft cloth with a soft toothbrush to clean teeth at least twice a day as soon as the first tooth shows. And, the child should visit the dentist before all primary teeth become visible.
It is best to expose a child to the environment of a dentists’ office to acclimatize him or her to the equipment and other things that at a later stage can cause fear. A child should be made comfortable with oral examinations from an early age so that later visits do not become a nightmarish experience. Dental care for children starts at home but for any kind of check up or problem resolution they do have to visit the family dentist, and these visits make them comfortable and also help them to form a bond with the dentist who will be doing the checkups and the treatments.
CARING FOR DEVELOPING SMILES
At Smiley Dental, our dentist are proudly welcome kids from the eruption of their very first tooth or before their first birthday. We love working with young patients, and having the opportunity to see their healthy smiles grow and develop is just one of the many reasons our team loves dentistry. All of our dentists have experiencing working with kids, and our friendly staff members go above and beyond to ensure your child is comfortable during care, has fun in our office, and always looks forward to visiting the dentist. So don’t wait to schedule your kids dental appointment with Smiley Dental. Call us today at any of our location in or around Lowell, Dracut, Roslindale, Hyde Park, Mattapan, Boston, New Bedford, Fairhaven for a convenient appointment.
BENEFITS OF FAMILY DENTISTRY
There are a number of benefits to trusting your children’s smiles to a family dentist including:
- General dentists treat a number of oral health issues on a regular basis, not just those specific to kids, so they are able to offer a greater variety of services at every stage of dental development.
- No need to schedule multiple appointments at numerous dental practices. Simply, call our office and schedule appointments for the whole family on the same day.
- You won’t need to transition your child to a new dental office, increasing the risk for dental phobias and anxiety, especially for those kids who already struggle with dentist-related stress.
- Speciality practices are often more expensive, so you may save money by bringing the whole family to the same office.
- A family dentist offers services that grow with your child’s smile, and if you start your child out with a general dentist, they know the ins and outs of your little one’s dental health history. This leads to better, more consistent oral hygiene and treatment planning.